Mr. Su Tiang Joo secured his Law degree with Honours from Manchester Metropolitan University (as it is now known), UK in 1982 and was admitted to the Bar of England and Wales in 1983 as a Barrister of Gray's Inn. He was called to the Malaysian Bar on the 24th of August 1984 and has been in active practice since. Whilst practising as a partner in a law firm in Selangor, he accepted the invitation of Mr. Cheah and Mr. Teh to return to Kuala Lumpur to join the firm of M/s Cheah & Teh in December 1990 to form the Firm as it is now known.
He has vast experience in litigation work involving land transactions, commercial contracts, building contracts, industrial relations, corporate matters, partnership, probate and administration of estate, torts, landlord and tenancy, conveyancing and banking matters, insolvency, family law, judicial review, professional disciplinary proceedings and miscellaneous and incidental matters.
Although his main area of practice is in civil litigation, Mr. Su was involved in conveyancing practice for some 3½ years, which makes him particularly conversant with land-based litigation. He is a litigator and has successfully argued numerous cases, many of which have been reported in the Malaysian law journals. Some of these form landmark cases that are often cited.
He has been invited on numerous occasions to speak at law conferences, seminars as well as in the continuing legal education programmes organized by the Bar Council and State Bar Committee. He authored the training module being used in aid of training volunteers at the Kuala Lumpur Legal Aid Centre for Industrial Relations/Employment matters. He gives lectures from time to time at the invitation of ILKAP (the training institute for Judicial and Legal Officers).
- Arbitrator on the panel of the Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration;
- Vice President of the Malaysia Chapter of the Honourable Society of Gray's Inn;
- Ad Hoc counsel for the Legal Profession Qualifying Board;
- Notary Public;
- Commissioner for Oaths;
- Registered Trade Marks Agent;
- Former Board Member of the Advocates & Solicitors Disciplinary Board (2007 to 2011);
- Former Deputy Chairman of the Law Reform and Special Areas Committee of the Bar Council Malaysia;
- Former Committee Member of the Ad Hoc Committee [of the Bar Council Malaysia] To Review the Legal Profession Act.