Jess Collen's expertise in the field of trademark law has long been recognized. He has been active in IP practice for 25 years and highly involved in the profession, having acted in many capacities, including as a member of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors of the International Trademark Association.
He is presently a featured Forbes.com contributor at What's Your Trademark?, focusing on all aspects of intellectual property.
Areas of Practice:
Trademark, Copyright and Unfair Competition law, Federal Court litigation, and actions before the United States Trademark Office.
Anti-counterfeiting, patent litigation, copyright litigation, trademark litigation, licensing, false advertising and misrepresentation, licensing, software protection and other related matters.
Mr. Collen has been recognized as one of the "Top 50 Trademark Attorneys in the United States," by the national legal and financial publication Trademark Insider. This marks at least the third time that he has received this distinction, twice having received "Top 10" Awards.
He was the winner of the Above the Bar Award at Top Intellectual Property Attorney in 2011.
Entertainment and publishing, watchmaking, electronics, high fashion, eyewear, food, software, and many other industrial and consumer fields.
- New York
- Washington D.C. (District of Columbia)
Publications and Speaking Engagements:
CLICK here to see Mr. Collen speak and hear podcast and video presentations
- Western New England Law Review, The Evolving Threat and Enforcement of Replica Goods (2011)
- A California bar journal on the topic of trademarks in Second Life and other Virtual Worlds
- Intellectual Property in Virtual Worlds (2009) on law.com
- Italian-Canadian Chamber (Montreal)
- Consulegis (Vienna)
- INTA Panel Ethics in Trademark Litigation Discovery
- Co-author updated Copyright treatment in multi-volume treatise Business Organizations with Tax Planning (LexisNexis/Matthew Bender).
Mr. Collen is also a co-founder and CEO of Life Project for Africa, Inc., based in New York, supporting the building of hospitals and fresh water drilling and relief efforts Tanzania.
International Trademark Association (INTA), past positions:
- INTA Board of Directors. Consecutive terms on the Executive Committee of the INTA Board.
- USPTO Trademark Office Practices Committee. Worked collaboratively with Commissioner of Trademarks and trademark Office leadership on rule implementation and legislation.
- U.S. Legislative Analysis Committee.
- Past Chair, Planning Committee and co-author of. Association's Strategic Plan.
- Chair/Committee Member of numerous committees, subcommittees and task forces - 1987 to present
Association of the Bar of the City of New York (New York City Bar Association) (Since 1985)
- Past member, Trademark Committee, Program Co Chair
L.E.S. Licensing Executive Society (since 1986)
AIPPI Association Internatonaile pour la Protection de la Propriete Intellectuelle
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
EXPERT WITNESS in trademark infringement actions, U.S. District court.
Member, United States Department of Commerce District Export Council for the New York City Region, appointed by United States Secretary of Commerce
Mr. Collen was educated at Western New England College School of Law, where he received his Juris Doctor, and Boston College, where he received his Bachelor of Arts and graduated Magna Cum Laude.